The Virtual Stock Model
Perfect-bound or case-bound, black and white or colour printed books and journals, produced quickly and to the highest digital quality.
What is the Virtual Stock Model?
Printing-on-demand (POD) or Virtual Stock is an inventory management process using digital technology which allows you to print as low as one copy or print smaller runs for automatic stock replenishment. The unit price per each item printed is higher than with traditional offset printing, but the advantage is that you do not have to print or store large print runs. This means cash is not tied up in stored stock which may be slow to sell.
Print-on-demand normally refers to printing approx 1-25 copies.
What are the benefits of the virtual stock model?
- Technical set-up is usually quicker than for offset printing
- Reduced inventory management - inventories of a book or print material do not need to be kept in stock, reducing storage, handling costs, and inventory accounting costs
- There is little or no waste from unsold products in the supply chain
- The ability to bring out-of-print lines back into production
- The ability to market test a new writer with a smaller run before investing in traditional long run printing
- Marketing advances for reps, reviews and trade shows
These advantages reduce the risks associated with publishing books and prints and can lead to increased choice for consumers.
At Printondemand-worldwide we specialise in very short runs and one copy orders!
Find out more information:
- What is BookVault On-demand Book Printing?
- BookVault System Explained
- BookVault: Prices and Technical Information
- Ebooks: Overview
- Ebook Conversion
- Scanning Services
- Global Print Production
- Retail Print Fulfilment and Distribution