The only files we use for printing are .PDF format. Please save yours to the standard PDF/X-1a:2001 ensuring that all fonts are embedded.
However if you can’t supply print-ready PDF files, we can convert documents for you from most of the industry standard applications, but additional charges may apply.
The most standard file types for books we accept are:
- Adobe PDF
- Adobe InDesign
We accept PC formats, as well as hard-copy books for scanning, and we can even lay out, design and create your book from scratch!
Please note that currently we’re only accepting PDF files but we will be accepting Microsoft Word/Publisher files in the near future.
Other File Preparation Tips
- Resolution for black and white printing should be 300dpi, ideally saved as greyscale or bitmap.
- For high quality, crisp diagrams within the body of the book, create vector graphics using Adobe Illustrator, ensuring that you only use black, and that you convert all text to outlines.
- Resolution for colour printing should be 300dpi, saved as CMYK.
- Spot colours should be converted to CMYK.
- To obtain areas of solid black (not including text), use CMYK settings of 40% Cyan, 40% Magenta, 40% Yellow and 100% Black.
- If supplying files other than PDF, ensure that you provide all linked images as well as all fonts used in the document.
- If colour accuracy is essential, please ask for a full production proof. This comes as standard with most print orders.
- If in doubt, please contact the pre-press department before beginning to create your files.